Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's resolution- WRITE!

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. ~Paul Sweeny

Paul Sweeney seems to be more famous for his quotes than for his books. The titles remind me of textbooks:

Ireland's Economic Success: Reasons and Lessons;
Ireland's Economic Success: Reasons and Prospects;
Race and Racism in the West: Crusades to the Present;
Ri Im/TB Organizational Behavior; 
Selling Out?: Privatisation in Ireland;
The Celtig Tiger: Ireland's Economic Miracle Explained        


I don't know what a Celtig Tiger is, and I'm not really interested in his topics. But I am captivated with the private reading habits of such a scholarly man. It's interesting that an intellectual finds books compelling enough to be "friends."  I'm supposing these are works of fiction he refers to. Even with my overactive imagination I cannot conjure up the image of  a man holding a book under his arm with affection when the title of the tome is "Weightier Biorhythms in the Western Hemisphere."

I have books on my shelf (and in my Kindle) that I have returned to read again. I hope that the books I write will be friends that will lighten lonely hours, give counsel to confusion, and draw readers to yearn for a better life. Of course, Jesus is the answer to loneliness, confusion, and higher planes!
 
 I have a Pinterest board that captures all sorts of readers. Reading? Everybody's doing it!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment