Sunday, January 31, 2010

Short Sentences, Short Chapters

Finished 49; 86,925 word count

Writing Tip: Fast action scene=short, clipped sentences with simple language. This syntax moves the reader forward in the same staccato rhythm of a boxing match. As I come to the climax of the book, I find myself with short chapters as well. In this instance, the brevity of the chapters, the short accounts of where the main characters are and the direction they are going lends an urgency to the writing.
Boy, I can't wait to find out what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. I kind of like the fact that you don't know what happens next. I mostly try to stay 5 chapters ahead in outlining of where I am in actual writing. But that becomes less and less important as I get to the end of the book. Then, I'm lucky to keep up outlining with the writing on a scene by scene basis.

    How do you work this?

    ReplyDelete