Friday, July 2, 2010

Just Talking

Finished Chapter 9; 16,140 word count

Writing Tip: In Donald Maass's book Fire in Fiction, he talks abou clean, precise dialog that is stripped of attributes and action tags. Sometimes this is a very effective way to deliver conversation between two characters.
Example from Dragons of the Watch:

Bealomondore shook his head, agreeing.
“How old are they?” asked Effie. “Do you know?”
“They are all six, every last one of them.”
“Six?”
“Six.”
“So someone has been feeding them for six years.”
“No.”
“No?”
“I have found documents in the library, written by hand, probably by Old One. Rumbard City is under some kind of wizardry.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, that excerpt has me curious now. I alwasy have trouble with editing out the action tags in my dialogue. I'm getting better at it though. Thanks for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete